Table of Contents
What is a Doughnut Chart
Doughnut Charts or Donut Charts show how much parts contribute to the whole. They look like pies, but have a whole in the middle. Doughnut charts may be displayed with different drawing styles, in 3D, with exploded slices.
Our doughnuts may appear in different combinations as it follows:
- Single-Series Doughnut Chart – typical 2D/3D single doughnut with multiple slices.
- Rotated Doughnut Chart – regular doughnut to bulls-eye nested doughnuts conversion.
- Nested Doughnut Chart – one within the other, with arc version possible.
- Multiple Doughnut Charts – nested doughnuts split into single doughnut charts.
- Doughnut Gauge Chart – single-value representation with a two-slice doughnut.
- Variable Size Doughnut Chart – where each slice vary also in height.
Steps to Create a Doughnut Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Select one or more numeric data columns as Pie Charts – Doughnut.
- Select a column as textual Label.
Doughnut Chart Demo Queries
Look for the ready-to-use Doughnut Chart generated query under the Queries > Demo Queries > Charts > Pie Charts folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, if not there.
Other doughnut-related demo queries:
- Nested Doughnut Chart
- Doughnut Gauge
- Variable Size Doughnut
Generated demo queries must work for any database, with no restriction. They use constant values generated on-the-fly and your database SQL engine, but do not depend on data from your tables, and never alter your database in any way.
Customize your Doughnut Chart
- Change the pie drawing style (to Soft Edge or Concave).
- Make it semi-transparent.
- Explode all slices (or just some of them).
- Show data labels inside, and as percent values.
- Hide some slices through the legend items.
- Switch to 3D.
- Nested doughnuts can be split into separate smaller single-series doughnut charts.
- Nested doughnuts can also be “rotated”, by swapping rows with columns.
- Single or multiple doughnuts may also appear as thin arcs.
- Creating Doughnut Charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and trivial: set one or more numeric columns as Doughnut, and one textual column as Label – this is it.
- All builtin powerful features of these chart type are common to most other charts: filtering series through the legend items, interactivity, monochrome or grayscale colors, rich axis and data label selections etc.
- Switch to another builtin chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.