How to Create a Funnel Chart
Table of Contents
What is a Funnel Chart
Data must be sent in descending order to a Funnel Chart, to avoid a warning. Lowest value is at the bottom, highest value on top. This is because Funnel Charts use to start with a specific number and filter out elements that do not meet certain conditions at every step.
Funnel charts are single-series, and single or multi-colors. Their segments may be exploded all together or one by one. Several drawing styles are available for both 2D and 3D views. Labels may appear inside or outside the funnel segments.
We render three types of funnels, in both 2D and 3D:
- Funnel Chart – with segment’s height proportional to its value.
- Funnel Bar Chart – with bar’s width proportional to the value.
- Funnel Area Chart – with segment’s base width proportional to its value.
Steps to Create a Funnel Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Select one single numeric column, sorted in ascending order, with one of the Funnel Charts – Funnel, Funnel Bar or Funnel Area chart types.
- Select eventually a Label, for legend items and segment labels.
Funnel Chart Demo Queries
Look for ready-to-use funnel-based generated chart query under the Queries > Demo Queries > Charts > Funnel Charts folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, to make sure they’re all there.
A typical default Funnel chart may show inside labels with percent values, with how much each segment occupies from the total values.
Customize your Funnel Chart
- Change the default funnel neck’s width and height percent values.
- Explode one or all segments.
- Show labels inside or outside, with values, percents or axis labels.
- Show one single color for all segments.
- Show in 3D, with different drawing styles.
- Click on legend items to hide segments.
- Creating Funnel Charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and versatile: set one numeric data column as one of Funnel/Funnel Bar/Funnel Area, and one column as Label.
- Adjust the drawing style, exploded segments and the 2D/3D view for spectacular results.
- All builtin powerful features of these chart type are common to most other charts: filtering series through the legend items, interactivity, monochrome or grayscale colors, rich axis and data label selections etc.
- Switch to another builtin chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.