How to Create a Marimekko Chart
Table of Contents
What is a Marimekko Chart
Marimekko Charts or Mekko Charts are two-way Full Stacked Bar Charts, with no gaps between bars. They are similar to Mosaic Bars, which are Full Stacked Bar Charts with no gaps between. But each bar’s width is also variable, depending on the total occupied by the bar total within the whole.
Steps to Create a Marimekko Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Select several numeric columns as Stacked Charts – Marimekko.
- Select an eventual Label, for legend items.
Marimekko Chart Demo Query
Look for the ready-to-use Marimekko generated chart query under the Queries > Demo Queries > Charts > Stacked Charts folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, to make sure it’s there.
As Marimekko charts are by default fully stacked at 100% in height, we may show them as simply stacked as well:
Customize your Marimekko Chart
- Show values as data labels, instead of percents.
- Switch between Full and simply stacked.
- Click on legend items to hide some series.
- Show with a single-color, or in 3D
- Creating Marimekko Charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and simple: set several numeric data column as Marimekko, and one optional column as Label.
- Switch from Full to simply stacked chart.
- All builtin powerful features of these chart type are common to most other charts: filtering series through the legend items, interactivity, monochrome or grayscale colors, rich axis and data label selections etc.
- Switch to another builtin chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.