Table of Contents
What is a Pyramid Chart
Data must be sent in ascending order to a Pyramid Chart, to avoid a warning. Highest value is at the bottom, lowest value on top.
Pyramid charts are single-series, and single or multi-colors. Their segments may be exploded all together or one by one. Several drawing styles are available for both 2D and 3D views. Labels may appear inside or outside the pyramid segments.
We render three types of pyramids, in both 2D and 3D:
- Pyramid Chart – with segment’s height proportional to its value.
- Surface Pyramid Chart – with segment’s area proportional to the value.
- Pyramid Area Chart – with segment’s base width proportional to its value.
Steps to Create a Pyramid Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Select one single numeric column, sorted in ascending order, with one of the Funnel Charts – Pyramid, Surface Pyramid or Pyramid Area chart types.
- Select eventually a Label, for legend items and segment labels.
Pyramid Chart Demo Queries
Look for ready-to-use pyramid-based generated chart query under the Queries > Demo Queries > Charts > Funnel Charts folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, to make sure they’re all there.
A typical default Pyramid chart may show inside labels with percent values, with how much each segment occupies from the total values.
Customize your Pyramid Chart
- Explode one or all segments.
- Show labels inside or outside, with values, percents or axis labels.
- Show in 3D, with different drawing styles.
- Click on legend items to hide segments.
- Creating Pyramid Charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and versatile: set one numeric data column as one of Pyramid/Surface Pyramid/Pyramid Area, and one column as Label.
- Adjust the drawing style, exploded segments and the 2D/3D view for spectacular results.
- All builtin powerful features of these chart type are common to most other charts: filtering series through the legend items, interactivity, monochrome or grayscale colors, rich axis and data label selections etc.
- Switch to another builtin chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.