Table of Contents
What is a Quadrant Chart
Quandrant Charts are extensions of numeric value based Scatter Charts, with the plot area equally divided into four “quadrants“. From a Scatter Chart, you move its plot axes in the middle and switch to a Quadrant Chart with a single toolbar button click.
Examples of specific Quadrant charts:
- Scatter Chart with Quadrant – based on a Scatter numeric selection and numeric Label.
- Bubble Chart with Quadrant – numeric Scatter and Label, plus a numeric Size.
- Block Plot with Quadrant – numeric Scatter and Label, plus a text Category.
Steps to Create a Quadrant Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Select the numeric column for Y values as Point Charts – Scatter.
- Select the numeric column for X values as Label.
- Optional, for a Bubble chart, add a numeric Size.
- Optional, for a Block Plot chart, add a text Category and show data labels as blocks.
- Click on the Quadrant chart button.
Quadrant Chart Demo Query
Look for the ready-to-use MultiColor Lollipop Quadrant Chart generated query under the Queries > Demo Queries > Charts > Cartesian Charts folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, if not there.
The demo chart is already customized, so we’ll go back here below to some previous look.
Generated demo queries must work for any database, with no restriction. They use constant values generated on-the-fly and your database SQL engine, but do not depend on data from your tables, and never alter your database in any way.
Customize your Quadrant Chart
- Switch from single to multi-color.
- Show data labels as lollipops, inside their markers.
- Switch eventually to a 3D view.
- Creating Quadrant Charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and straightforward: select a scatter chart first, with a numeric Scatter selection and a numeric Label, then show as Quadrant with a single button click.
- For a Quadrant Bubble Chart, extend your Scatter chart to a Bubble Chart, by adding a numeric Size selection.
- For a Quadrant Block Plot Chart, extend your Scatter chart instead to a Block Plot Chart, by adding a text Category selection and showing data labels as blocks.
- All builtin powerful features of these chart type are common to most other charts: filtering series through the legend items, interactivity, monochrome or grayscale colors, rich axis and data label selections etc.
- Switch to another builtin chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.