How to Create a Slope Graph
Table of Contents
What is a Slope Graph
Slope Graph or Slope (Line) charts can be used to show a before and after values. The related values are connected by slopes, as regular Line Charts. The vertical Y axis is usually reversed, to show 1, 2, 3… values from top down.
The typical Slope chart uses only two data columns set as Slope Line. But you may choose more than two.
Steps to Create a Slope Graph
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Select two (or more) numeric columns as Cartesian Charts – Slope Line.
- Select one optional column as chart Label.
Slope Graph Demo Query
This is a great alternative to learn about and play with this type of chart, if you don’t want to create it from scratch.
Look for the ready-to-use single-series Slope Line Chart generated query under the Queries > Demo Queries > Charts > Cartesian Charts folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, if not already there.
The generated demo queries must work for any database, with no restriction. They use constant values generated on-the-fly and your database SQL engine, but do not depend on data from your tables, and never alter your database in any way.
Customize your Slope Graph
The chart toolbar at the bottom has many options you may change with one single click, to alter the graph. Here is just an example of what you can further do with this type of chart:
- Show as lollipop, with labels inside the markers.
- Show dot lines.
- Hide all axis labels.
- Click on legend items to hide some lines.
- Creating Slope Graphs in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast, simple and trivial: set two or more numeric columns as Slope Line charts, one optional column as Label, and that’s it!
- Many builtin powerful features of these chart type are common to most other charts: filtering series through the legend items, interactivity, monochrome or grayscale colors etc.
- Switch to another builtin chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.