Table of Contents
What is a Stacked Bar Chart
Stacked Bar Charts pile vertical columns or horizontal bars on top of each other.
There are several kinds of stacked bars – only first five types are described here – as it follows:
- Single Stacked Bar – one single-series pile with stacked columns or bars.
- Stacked Bars – simple vertical columns or horizontal bars stacked on top of each other.
- Full Stacked Bars – with all stacks and bar segment normalized at 100% in height.
- Mosaic Chart – particular Full Stacked Bar chart with no gaps between the bars.
- Grouped Stacked Bars – Stacked Bars mixed side-by-side with regular Bars, in groups.
- Skyscraper Bars – alternative presentation layout, with wider bars at the bottom of each stack.
- Butterfly Chart (or Population Pyramid) – mixes one Bar with another Bar mirrored on the other side of the axis.
- Centered Stacked Bars – Stacked Bars with both positive and negative values.
- Stacked Range Bars – they look like Stacked Bars with piles starting at different values instead of the base axis.
- Marimekko Chart – Full Stacked Bar chart with no gaps between bars and width normalized as well at 100% of the total width.
- Stacked Radial Columns – circular view of the twisted plot of a vertical Column Chart.
- Stacked Radial Bars – circular view of the twisted plot of a horizontal Bar Chart.
Steps to Create a Stacked Bar Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Select one or more numeric columns as Stacked Charts – Stacked Bar.
- Mix eventually with regular Bar selections, for Grouped Stacked Bars.
- Show either horizontal bars or vertical columns.
- Select an eventual Label, for legend items and axis labels.
Single-Series Stacked Bar Chart
One single Stacked Bar selection will render a chart with one single pile of columns or bars for each value.
Multi-Series Stacked Bar Chart
The multi-series chart below combines three numeric data columns into simple Stacked Columns, using three Stacked Bar chart selections.
Customize your Stacked Bar Chart
- Display as a Full Stacked Bar chart.
- Remove gaps between bars and start X from zero, to appear as a Mosaic Chart.
- Select a different drawing style (like Light to Dark).
- Show percentage values as data labels, inside each bar.
- Hide the Y axis labels.
- Show the 3D view.
- You may continue and switch from vertical columns to horizontal bars.
- Show as lollipops.
- Creating Stacked Bar Charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and simple: set one or more numeric columns as Stacked Bar, instead of Bar, with one optional Label.
- Switch between vertical columns and horizontal bars.
- Show any Full Stacked Bar chart as a Mosaic Chart, with no gaps between.
- Mix Stacked Bars with side-by-side regular Bars, for a Grouped Stacked Bar chart.
- Show all values of a single-series Stacked Bar as piled columns or bars.
- All builtin powerful features of these chart type are common to most other charts: filtering series through the legend items, interactivity, monochrome or grayscale colors, rich axis and data label selections etc.
- Switch to another builtin chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.