How to Create a Step Line Chart
Table of Contents
What is a Step Line Chart
Step Line charts split the straight segment between two points into a horizontal segment followed by a vertical segment, as in the stairs.
Step Line charts have properties just like the other types of line charts: can be single and multi-series, grouped or split when more then one series, single or multi-color, with a dash style, broken on missing points, with an alternative 3D view.
Steps to Create a Step Line Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Select one or more numeric columns with the Line Charts – Line chart.
- Select eventually a Label, for legend items and X axis labels.
- Select all line series from the toolbar and change their drawing style to Step Line.
- Multi-series charts can be split into multiple separate single-series charts.
Step Line Chart Demo Queries
Look for ready-to-use generated chart queries under the Queries > Demo Queries > Charts folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, to make sure they’re all there. Step Lines Chart is a specific Step Line demo query.
Or build your Step Line chart from scratch, as shown here. Most simple Step Line chart has just one data column, with a horizontal axis automatically generated.
Generated demo queries must work for any database, with no restriction. They use constant values generated on-the-fly and your database SQL engine, but do not depend on data from your tables, and never alter your database in any way.
Customize your Step Line Chart
- Make your step line chart multi-color, with a different color for each segment.
- Show data labels as lollipops, inside some custom diamond markers.
- Change the dash style to interrupted lines.
- Add a data column as Label., and show staggered X axis labels.
- Set another column as Category, to group multiple segments with the same color.
- Click on some legend items to hide segments within that Category.
- You may change a line drawing style to straight, spline, step or jump line.
- Creating Step Line charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and trivial: select one or more numeric columns as Line, and one column as Label if you wish.
- Select series from the toolbar and change their drawing style to Step Line.
- All builtin powerful features of these chart type are common to most other charts: filtering series through the legend items, interactivity, monochrome or grayscale colors, rich axis and data label selections etc.
- Switch to another builtin chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.