How to Create a Stream Graph
Table of Contents
What is a Stream Graph
A Stream Graph or Theme River combines several Stacked Range Spline Areas to get a symmetrical view on each side of the horizontal X axis.
For a single-series Stream Graph, we simply create a Range Spline Area with half of each value as both a positive and negative number. The algorithm for a multi-series Stream Graph is slightly more complex.
Steps to Create a Stream Graph
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Chart query builder.
- Set one or more numeric data column as Area Charts – Stream Graph.
- The area lines are automatically set as curve (spline) lines.
- Add an optional Label.
Stream Graph Demo Queries
A Stream Graph demo query, under the Range Charts folder, displays a three series based multi-color Stream Graph. It’s customary for this type of chart to show no clutter, so grid lines, labels, markers etc are hidden by default, and we display the graph only.
Another Multiple Stream Graph demo query, under the Multiple Charts folder, splits the previous multi-series chart into smaller single-series Stream Graph charts.
Customize your Stream Graph
- Bring back the clutter: show plot lines, labels, markers etc
- Show slanted data labels with the point names.
- Show same type of bubble marker for all series.
- Change the drawing style (to Semi-Transparent).
- Hide series using the legend items.
- Creating a Stream Graph in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and trivial: set one or more numeric columns as Stream Graph, one optional column as Label, and that’s it!
- Configure this type of chart like a Stacked Range Spline Area chart.