How to Create an Inline Nested Bar Chart
Table of Contents
What is an Inline Nested Bar Chart
Nested Bars or Overlapping Bars are horizontal bars that appear to be one behind the other. Unlike stacked bars, they all start from zero and will frequently overlap. To avoiding completely hiding one bar behind the other, any bar in the back is wider than the bar in front, and always leaves at least one portion visible.
Our Inline Nested Charts show only two overlapping bars. Values may be positive or negative, on both sides of the vertical Y axis.
Steps to Create an Inline Nested Bar Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Inline Chart query builder.
- From any data column, select either Inline Nested Bars – Overlapping Bar.
- A new empty added column with the setting may appear.
- In the Edit Inline Chart Series popup, specify two other columns or constant values.
Inline Nested Bar Demo Query
Look for the ready-to-use Nested and Progress Bars generated query under the Queries > Demo Queries > Inline Charts > Horizontal Bars folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, if not there.
Ignore for the moment the Progress Bar column (it has been deleted below).
Nested uses the inner numeric values for the front bar, the outer numeric values for the bar behind. Specify the reference to these columns in the Edit Inline Chart Series popup. As that’s a multi-value based chart, you cannot assign it directly to an existing column data, but to an empty column, which may be generated if you selected it elsewhere.
Customize your Inline Nested Bar Chart
- Show as black-and-white, with no colors.
- Show as thin lollipop sticks.
- Show or hide the vertical Y axis.
- Change the inline chart theme.
- Creating Inline Nested Bar Charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and simple: select an Overlapping Bar chart type, then reference the numeric columns the inner and outer bars are based on.
- Switch to another builtin inline chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.