Table of Contents
What is an Inline Progress Bar Chart
Our Inline Progress Bars display pairs of overlapping or nested horizontal bars. One bar always appear in gray in the back at 100% column’s length. The other bar is nested, appears in front, and has a proportional length.
The inner bar cannot be longer than the referenced background bar. When equal or larger, it appears in the upper color. Otherwise in the down color (i.e. it still have something to catch the outer bar).
Values may be only positive, and negative values will be omitted (i.e considered zero). When text is allowed, we show a percentage as the ratio between the two values. For instance, if the inner value is 6, and the outer value 8, the data label will be 75%, i.e. 6 / 8 * 100.
Steps to Create an Inline Progress Bar Chart
Start Visual Xtractor or Data Xtractor. Connect to a database. Create or design a SQL query. Run the query and check the results.
- Display and enable the Inline Chart query builder.
- From any data column, select either Inline Nested Bars – Progress Bar.
- A new empty added column with the setting may appear.
- In the Edit Inline Chart Series popup, specify two other columns or constant values.
Inline Progress Bar Demo Query
Look for the ready-to-use Nested and Progress Bars generated query under the Queries > Demo Queries > Inline Charts > Horizontal Bars folder. Click on the “add demo queries” command link, if not there.
Ignore for the moment the Nested Bar column (it has been deleted below).
Progress uses the inner numeric values for the front bar, the outer numeric values for the 100% gray bar behind. Specify the reference to these columns in the Edit Inline Chart Series popup. As that’s a multi-value based chart, you cannot assign it directly to an existing column data, but to an empty column, which may be generated if you selected it elsewhere.
Customize your Inline Progress Bar Chart
- Show as black-and-white, with no colors.
- Show as thin lollipop sticks.
- Change the inline chart theme.
- Creating Inline Progress Bar Charts in Data Xtractor or Visual Xtractor is fast and simple: select a Progress Bar chart type, then reference the two numeric columns the inner and outer bars are based on.
- Switch to another builtin inline chart theme, or customize your own, for any possible color or other styles.